CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 20, 2012

V-Day, Shmee-Day

So with Valentine's Day just around the corner, I thought I would give my opinion of this day based on my personal experiences. I used to LOVE Valentine's Day.... before I had children, that is. My hubby would buy me flowers and write the best cards. He actually took the time to choose a thoughtful card and then proceed to write a novel on all the reasons he loves me, chose to marry me, and why I am his best friend. I still have all these cards because they are so sweet. Then he would take me on a dinner and movie date, etc. Typical V-day, I know. But it was romantic and fun nonetheless.
We were together for 4 years before we had C-man so we had a good amount of alone time together and it was wonderful! (Not to say my children aren't wonderful, but you will see what I mean momentarily.)
Now, skip ahead to Valentine's Day 2008. I have nearly a 2 month old baby and am super happy with my life. NOT A THING ON V-DAY. Not a card. Not flowers. Not candy. ???????? I am sorry.... Did we get a divorce or have a kid? Okay honey. I will let this one slide since we just had a baby and we are both a little scatter-brained. Oh and let me add that I had walked the 1/2 mile to the grocery store (7 week C-section incision still painful), pushing the stroller, to buy him a card and candy. Yep. I did.

So I let it slide on the outside, but was hurt on the inside. :( I guess I am a girly-girl when it comes to holidays. And since then, I never get anything on V-day. No date. No card. No special treatment. Nothing. It's like I gave him two kids in return for less. WTH??
Only recently (like 2011) did I tell him how much it hurt me that he doesn't do those things for me anymore. I already am last on the list when it comes to anything because 'that's a mom's job'. (Which I think sucks!!) He told me it is because he doesn't 'believe in Valentine's Day'. Since when?? You can't do that to a girl; shower her with love and affection then turn it off like a switch because we have kids now and it's harder for you to get out to buy those things, etc. Uh-hem.... you sure make time to go to the liquor store (Jussayin').
Anyway, I feel as though I am venting now, but hell...what are blogs for? My point is, V-Day will become just another day to me this year. I make a vow to not let it get to me that my husband is an ass and could care less about the teeny tiny thing that could make or break my day ONE DAY A YEAR. (There I am venting again!). This year I will make my kids a fantastic breakfast and buy them each a cute little gift so they know (in case it is important to them LOL) that mommy loves them and remembers that this day is about (extra) LOVE and I wouldn't forget it!

No comments: